Sunday 1 January 2017

New Year's Resolutions

I don’t normally make resolutions at the beginning of each year, but this year, as I start this new journey, I thought it might be appropriate to make a list of truly important goals and stick to them.  So, what follows is my list, in no particular order.
  1. Be kinder.  To be truthful, I am a very kind person.  However, there are instances where I could be just a little kinder.  For instance, when my husband asks me to repeat myself for the umpteenth time.  Instead of getting snarky, I should simply repeat myself.  He isn’t asking just to be mean.  He truly can’t hear me.  It’s not his fault.  So, it shouldn’t be met with impatience.  Understanding would go a long way.
  2. Be more patient.  See #1. 
  3. Make more time for fun things.  Instead of being bogged down in what needs to be done, find some time to do what I want to do. Like spend more time doing crafty things.  I love all kinds of crafts.  I just don’t put a priority on doing them.  I plan to change that.
  4. Spend more time with my dog, Lola.  As a one year old pup, Lola needs a lot of stimulation and guidance.  She is in training to be a therapy dog for when I visit senior residences.  Although she is the sweetest thing on four legs, she is still full of exuberance and boundless energy.  It’s okay if she comes running at me when she sees me after being away for a short time, but it’s not okay to go running at a frail 90 year old granny.  We need to work on that.
  5. Eat better.  I am notorious for not eating all day.  Not a good thing.  I find it difficult to even try to eat breakfast, but we all are told that it’s the most important meal of the day.  So, I will give it a shot.  As a matter of fact I had two poached eggs on toast this morning.  Yay me!  Now if I can just cut my coffee intake down to maybe four cups a day I’m ahead of the game.
  6. Exercise more.  Yes, I know that is everyone’s goal.  Why should I be any different?  I have had a membership at a fitness club for about a year now and I’ve gone maybe a few dozen times.  This year I plan to really make use of the membership and set a goal for myself.  My goal is private, but it has something to do with belly fat.  That’s all I’ll say.
  7. Engage more with people face to face.  I am awful when it comes to staying in touch.  Sure, I’ll text or email from time to time.  But it has been ages since I’ve actually seen some of my friends face to face.  Technology makes it too easy to lose sight of that fact that you haven’t actually had a human conversation in weeks/months/years.  I think it’s time for me to disconnect from my smartphone and actually talk to another human.
  8. Forgive.  By that I mean forgive someone who has cause me any pain.  Life is too short to carry grudges.  Move on.  And while I’m at it I think I’ll forgive myself too.  For not being kinder or more patient, or for not taking time to do fun things, or for not spending more time with my dog, or not eating better or exercising more or not talking to my friends face to face.  It’s a new year.  Let’s start fresh.

I’m sure as the year rolls on I’ll think of more resolutions to add to the list.  But this is a start.  And it’s ambitious.  But I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment